Welcome to Stuff I Learned Yesterday. My name is Darrell Darnell, yesterday I saw Rogue One and it was ever better than I hoped it would be, and I believe that if you aren’t learning, you aren’t living. In today’s episode of Stuff I Learned Yesterday we’re back with another installment of the Friday Forum.
Today’s Fun Fact: You’ve probably noticed the flags in your town flying at half staff this week. By order of a Presidential Proclamation, United States Flags are at half staff for John Glenn from Friday December 9, 2016 through sunset on the day of his interment, which is today. So to honor this great American hero, here are some facts about John Glenn. (source: Movie News Guide)
- John Glenn was the first U.S. astronaut to orbit the Earth in 1962. According to USA Today, in 1962, Glenn went around the globe three times and then plunged into the Atlantic Ocean. Later, he would circle the globe another 134 times.
- He defied the age barrier when he went on his final space trip at the age of 77. When he climbed aboard the Space Shuttle Discovery in 1998, he became the oldest person ever to travel in space.
- John Glenn got attracted to flying at a very early age. He was eight when he began feeling strongly about it, and this obsession and love for flying continued until his end. Glenn also flew 149 combat missions in World War II and the Korean War.
- John Glenn was the longest-serving U.S. Senator in Ohio history. The Democratic senator held the office for 24 years.
- Glenn married his childhood love Anna Margaret Castor on April 6, 1943. They remained married until his death on December 8, 2016. That means they were married for 73 years, 8 months, and 2 days.
- John Glenn was one of the most awarded men. He received Honorary Doctorates from Nihon University in Tokyo, Japan; Wagner College in Staten Island, New York; and New Hampshire College in Manchester, New Hampshire. Apart from these, he received a distinguished service medal from then-president John F. Kennedy after becoming the first U.S. astronaut to orbit the Earth.
Today is the Friday Forum!! In today’s episode of Stuff I Learned Yesterday I share a contribution from Joshua. You can participate in the Friday Forum by visiting our Feedback Page or calling our voice feedback line at 304-837-2278.
Join our SILY Facebook group and let’s get to know one-another!
I’m Darrell Darnell and this has been stuff I learned yesterday.
Follow Golden Spiral Media on Twitter at GSMPodcasts and Facebook.com/GoldenSpiralMedia. To subscribe to Stuff I Learned yesterday, visit GoldenSpiralMedia.com/subscribe. If you’ve enjoyed this episode of Stuff I Learned Yesterday, I would be grateful if you’d leave a review in iTunes.[sc:stuff]