Some thoughts from Joe on The Flash, Season 3, Episode 17: Duet
A Song in Your Heart
And so, I make a confession. One I rarely admit to, but is true all the same.
My first two years in college, I was in the…musical theatre department.
It’s true. There’s a reason I keep bursting into songs in these podcasts. I’m an old song-n-dance man. So as you can guess, this episode hit all the right notes for me. But to give us some context, I wanted to give us all a little info on the songs that appeared in this week’s episode…
1) Moon River: A Mercer/Mancini classic made famous in Breakfast at Tiffany’s. Sung by Supergirl this time, this song won the Grammy in 1962 and has been covered by damn near every lounge singer ever.
2) Put a Little Love in Your Heart: Written by Jackie deShannon, Jimmy Holiday, and Randy Myers…and performed by DeShannon, it remains DeShannon’s biggest hit, reaching #4 in the Hot 100 in 1969. It’s also the song used so effectively as the closer from the Bill Murray classic Scrooged.
3) More I Cannot Wish You: From the classic Frank Loesser musical Guys & Dolls. That’s right, the ep snuck in a legit musical theatre classic, no surprise considering the musical theatre pedigre of Victor Garber, Jesse L. Martin, and John Barrowman!
4) Super Friend: A hilarious original piece chock-a-block w/ comic book references, including the title itself!
5) Runnin’ Home to You: Another original created for this episode, written by none other than Benj Pasek and Justin Paul, who’ve just won an Academy Award for Best Original Song for…City of Stars in La La Land!
See you all next week for Abra Kadabra!